Safari! The word itself conjures images of adventure and romance.
Micato Safaris’ expeditions are luxurious by design, featuring world-class accommodations, legendary game parks, spectacular scenery at every turn and a richness of wildlife beyond your imagination.
Micato’s goal is to offer the most meaningful, luxurious and personalized safaris, striving to exceed our guests’ every expectation. There is simply no better way to connect with the people, cultures and traditions of Africa.
With dedication, unparalleled personal service and attention to detail, it is easy to see why Micato Safaris has been voted “World’s Best Tour Operator” by readers of Travel+Leisure magazine a record nine times, as well as a “World’s Best Value”.
But Micato is about more than just spectacular safaris-it is a company committed to giving back to the people of Africa. Hence Micato’s One for One Commitment. For every safari sold, Micato pays the fees required to send a child in Africa to school-a child who would otherwise stay home due to extreme poverty. It’s an unprecedented undertaking for a tour company and one reason why Micato was named “Overall Winner” of tour operators in Condé Nast Traveler’s “World Savers” awards in both 2010 and 2012.
Micato operates safaris in Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Rwanda and Namibia as well as India. They can arrange extensions to Zanzibar and Lamu. Micato offers scheduled safaris that range from 12 to 18 days, and invites guest to work with our Bespoke Department to create private, custom itineraries tailored to the interests of the individual traveller or group.
Micato Safaris in Kenya was founded in 1966 by Felix and Jane Pinto, whose family has a long history in Kenya, having settled in Nairobi at the turn of the last century. They have welcomed thousands of visitors to Africa and all Micato guests travelling in East Africa are invited to have a meal at their home. Travel+Leisure wrote that Felix and Jane treat guests like “well-loved, out of town relatives.”
In addition to its One for One Commitment, Micato gives back through its non-profit foundation, AmericaShare. The organization is focused particularly on children left orphaned or vulnerable as a result of the AIDS pandemic. AmericaShare rescues these children from the slums of Nairobi and places them in reputable boarding schools, providing a quality education, room, board, clothing and supplies.
Micato travellers are invited to spend a day visiting AmericaShare projects to learn of the challenges, meet the children and be inspired to help. Travellers, corporate donors, industry friends and Micato staff have all helped make a difference in the lives of these children. With administrative costs fully-funded by Micato, 100% of all donations go directly to AmericaShare projects.
In addition to the “World’s Best” and “World Savers” awards, Micato is proud to have garnered the following accolades:
- Global Vision Award 2010, Development and Youth Education – Travel+Leisure
- 50 Tours of a Lifetime 2010 – National Geographic Traveler
- Trips of a Lifetime 2010, 2011 – Travel+Leisure
- Best Escorted Tour Operator 2010 – Virtuoso
- Best VAST (Active) Operator 2011, 2012 – Virtuoso
- Best Tour Operator, Africa/Middle East 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 – TravelAge West
- Best African Safari Tour Operator 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 – Porthole
- Magellan Awards, Gold 2009, 2010, 2011 – Travel Weekly
- 10 Guides Who Make The Trip 2011 – National Geographic
- Preferred East Africa Tour Operator, 1000 Places To See Before You Die, 2011
- One of the Best Outfitters on Earth, 2008 and 2009 – National Geographic Adventure
- One of the Best 25 New Trips of 2009 – National Geographic Adventure
- “Doing it All” Award, 2009 – Conde Nast World Savers Awards
- World’s Best Tour Company, 2007 – Luxury Link
- Partner in Excellence, 2007 – Carlson Marketing, Spirit of Excellence program
- Tanzania Tourist Board Development Award, 2007
- William D. Littleford Award for Corporate Community Service, 2005
- Tour Operator of the Year/Leaders in Luxury, 2004 – Travel Agent magazine
Learn more at www.micato.com or by calling 1-800-MICATO-1.